Category Archives: Community

The Nocturnes 20th Anniversary Photography Exhibit

The Nocturnes 20th Anniversary Photography Exhibit
Opening Reception: November 9, 2011, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
Free

Exhibit runs through December 3rd.

Harvey Milk Photo Center
50 Scott Street, Duboce Park
San Francisco, California 94117
(415) 554-9522

“In 1991, ten pioneering Bay Area photographers displayed their work as “The Nocturnes” in a curated show on night photography. Twenty years later, The Nocturnes are still having “full moon gatherings”, educating new photographers, and enjoying the camaraderie of like-minded artists that realize that some of the best photos are taken after the sun sets. This curated exhibit is a retrospective on the work of some of the most well-known night photographers as well as those just getting started.” (From the event web site.)

I’m pleased to say that two of my prints will be included in this show. If you are a San Francisco Bay Area night photographer, a fan of night (and other) photography, or happen to be visiting the area, I invite you to drop in and see some wonderful night photography by a diverse and talented group of photographers. Maybe I’ll see you at the opening reception on November 9!

Photographer Mark Citret at De Anza College

Photographer Mark Citret is presenting a free public talk on his work at De Anza College in mid-November. I invite San Francisco Bay Area photographers and photography fans to join me in attending!

Wednesday, November 16
7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Room A-11
De Anza College
Cupertino

Spread the word!

Night Photography Article at SFGate

Updates:

1. I can’t believe I neglected to include the link to the article! See “Photographers Find Light in the Dead of Night
  2. After I posted the link to this article earlier today I got word that two of my prints have been selected for inclusion in the show. Hope to see some of you Bay Area photographers at the reception!

San Francisco’s SFGate web site has an article on night photography and especially on the history of the medium in the San Francisco Bay Area:

“Before this eccentric genre emerged here in the 1970s, only a handful of shutterbugs shot in the dark. At the turn of the 20th century, Alfred Stieglitz conjured images of an evanescent New York. In the 1920s and ’30s, Brassaï captured lustrous scenes of Paris a la nuit. And O. Winston Link glorified American modes of transportation against the backdrop of night in the 1950s.

But night photography didn’t become a codified style until a group of Northern Californian photographers (including Richard Misrach, Arthur Ollman and Jerry Burchard) started tackling nighttime as a major theme in their work.”

The Bay Area has been fortunate to be a bit of a hot spot for night photographers who have “gone over to the dark side,” and this continues. The Nocturnes, the Bay Area night photography group, is celebrating its 20th year with a series of exhibitions this year, including a recent show at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard (which is, in many ways, ground zero for area night photographers) and an upcoming event:

The Nocturnes 20th Anniversary Photography Exhibit: Reception 6:30 p.m. Nov. 9. Through Dec. 3. Free. Harvey Milk Photo Center, 50 Scott St., San Francisco. (415) 554-9522. harveymilkphotocenter.org.

Format Problem with Blog Search and RSS Solved?

Earlier today I posted:

A week ago, after having recently updated the theme for this blog, I became aware that search results returned by the blog do not include images. That is a problem on a photography web site! Earlier today, several people emailed to point out that the images have also disappeared from the RSS feed for the site.

The loss of images in search and RSS was certainly not intentional! I’m going to try to figure out why this has happened and correct it as soon as I can. (“Thank you” to readers who alerted me to this!)

I have a bit of an update, and I also have a quick request if you have a moment…

One problem was that images were not showing up when visitors searched to site using the search box that appears near the top of the sidebar on each page. Only text was being returned in the search results. I believe that I have fixed this problem – my own searches now include images incorporated in the original post. That is pretty darned important on a photography blog!

The other problem was that several readers who subscribe to posts via the RSS feed reported no longer seeing images in the feed. This has proven a bit more complex. I checked my Google Reader feeds, where I had been monitoring two versions of this blog’s feed. I discovered that the photographers were, indeed, missing from one version of the feed. I cancelled both feeds and resubscribed and… now they both work correctly. I also checked the php files for the RSS page and it looks like it should include the entire posts, images and all.

So, if you have encountered a problem with images disappearing from the RSS feed recently, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Try to unsubscribe from the feed in your feed reader. The subscribe again, as if you were doing it for the first time.
  2. If you do this and the images are still not visible in posts that follow your completion of this step, I would be grateful if you would let me know a bit more about how your subscribe.
  3. You might also consider using Google Reader as your RSS feed reader. That is what I now use, and I’m pleased with the interface… and the images seem to show up correctly there.
Thanks!